Saturday, November 6, 2010

Spiced Breakfast Quinoa with Coconut & Pecans

I have never been a fan of oatmeal, cereal or grits for breakfast (though I can't denounce grits entirely, otherwise I might be asked to leave Charleston. Shrimp & grits is one my my very favorite foods, I swear!). I came across a recipe for sweet quinoa recently, and once I tried it I was hooked. This is now my go-to breakfast grain, for days when an apple just won't do. It's quick, easy and oh so good!



Spiced Breakfast Quinoa with Coconut & Pecans
1/3 cup quinoa
1/3 cup almond milk (plain or vanilla flavor, though if you use vanilla only use half the honey)
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cardamom

Rinse the quinoa, the put all of the above ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed. Once the quinoa is done cooking fluff it a little and put it in a bowl. Stir in the following ingredients:

2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 handful of pecan pieces

...and you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment