Thursday, May 19, 2011

In The Kitchen: Shaved Asparagus Salad with Truffle Salt & Wildflower Honey

Foodzie.com is a fantastic site for food lovers, filled with prepared foods, snacks, coffee/tea, chocolate, sauces & condiments, etc., all from small companies and artisan makers. I've often wanted to try their tasting box program; for $19.99 (including shipping) they will send you a small box every month filled with products to give you a "taste" of whats available on the site...so when an email arrived in my inbox a few weeks ago with a promotion offering your first tasting box free of charge I couldn't sign up fast enough! My first box arrived this week, and I already can't wait for the June box...


Among the cookies, tea and snacks in the box were flavored salts from an artisan salt company, and the Black Truffle and Fresh Thyme Herb Sea Salt seemed like the perfect mate for the giant bag of fresh asparagus a friend gave me from their garden. 

The asparagus salad was delicious, and the salt gave the perfect herb-truffle hint to each bite. In fact that salt was so good I've been putting it on everything from buttered toast to roasted potatoes this week, and I'm going to look into carrying it in the store!



Shaved Asparagus Salad with Truffle Salt & Wildflower Honey
  

  • 12 whole Stalks Fresh Asparagus
  • ⅛ whole Red Onion
  • ½ ounces, fluid Lemon Juice
  • ½ ounces, fluid Champagne Vinegar
  • 1 ounce, fluid Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 teaspoon Truffle Thyme Salt
  • 4 teaspoons Wildflower Honey

Trim the heads off your asparagus spears, if they are very thick, cut the heads in half. Place the asparagus heads in a large bowl. Using a vegetable peeler or mandoline slicer, shave your asparagus spears and red onion into the bowl.

In another bowl whisk the lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil together. Pour this mixture over the asparagus & onion mixture and toss to coat.

Separate the asparagus salad into four bowls and top each serving with a pinch or two of truffle salt* and a drizzle of honey (the measurements in the ingredients list for the salt and honey are just estimates, use as much or as little as you please).

2 comments:

  1. The asparagus sounds amazing! I'm putting that tasting box program on my wish list; we are simplifying our home and finances, but this sounds like something my husband and I would really enjoy. I can see us squirreling it away so we don't have to share with the kids! ;-)

    I am in love with the baguette trays in your Etsy shop! I may splurge one one next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I just saw this comment! The asparagus is really good, the salad also works well with shaved zuchinni.

    The tasting box program is really fun. I've had to cut back quite a bit myself with all the expenses of the store opening, but for $19.99 it's just a fun, affordable surprise to get in the mail. Just so you know, this box contained:
    -A small bag of dried pineapple treats (which I added to some smoothies)
    -Two biscotti (almond & lemon/poppy seed)
    -Two Afajores (shortbread cookies filled with dulce de leche)
    -A pack of sesame flavored seaweed snacks
    -Two large tea bags to make two pitchers of iced tea
    -Two sample bags of flavored sea salts

    ReplyDelete